gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
483929 Posts in 28351 Topics by 2463 Members - Latest Member: Gobers December 16, 2017, 04:21:37 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Massive member prune and IP denials
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Massive member prune and IP denials  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Massive member prune and IP denials
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:28 AM »
I have discovered a large number of accounts from a certain number of IP addresses. I am denying access at the host level from IPs that are doing this, as I perceive this to be some form of dos attack. The culprits appear to be loading up the registration page itself and registering a cruiser ship load of accounts at a time. This explains the number of emails the server has been sending me when SMF can't connect to the db, as well. Hopefully this will be addresed and be done with, versus this being a long and dragged out grudge match of some sort. I'll let everyone know when I'm done, and no, I will not have a number of accounts being pruned.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:04:26 PM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
Re: Massive member prune and IP denials
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
I haven't completely finished the job (due to the power supply dying in my desktop, apparently), but I have removed a large number of spammer accounts and banned a large number of IPs being used by large numbers of said accounts.

Fair warning. If you use a proxy, you run the risk of getting banned. I don't care what you do elsewhere, but proxies are getting massively abused by spammers, and thusly every IP I can identify as a proxy IP will be banned.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Inactive
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
If we accidently use a proxy and get banned, is it possible to get unbanned?
I use the word accidently because sometimes my brother uses it on my computer, and don't notice until a few min later.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
The IPs are more accurately described as blocked. As long as you use a proxy IP address that is in the host's block list, you will not be able to see anything on thegaminguniverse.org.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »
As a rather late follow up, I found a means of tracking down more accounts that are using proxy services. I am blocking certain hostnames that are identified as being used by regbots and the like.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  News  |  Massive member prune and IP denials

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.194 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx