gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484219 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 21, 2018, 12:52:20 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  This place looks dead
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: This place looks dead  (Read 7727 times)

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
Re: This place looks dead
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 01:07:36 AM »
With each upgrade things have gotten worse and worse. After all this time we don't even have a proper home page or even a redirect link "http://www.thegaminguniverse.org/"

Unless if someone types if "Gaming Universe" or interested in MMX, no one will even know about this site.

By judging the replies, this place will not die until Rowan himself decides to shut it down.
You want proof, look at me for example. I said goodbye, complain, and yet here I am for some reason.
Guess were all just stuck here...or at least about 8 of us members.

Offline Lethes

• courage
  • Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »
Dude you need to relax. We don't need a million people, as long as the people that ARE here have a good time. You sound like a downer when the rest of us aren't worried.
face your fears

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
I'll chime in on the RP part with Stun. I would have updated RT, but I felt like Joe, and Yu-gi-Oh! were gone. I HATE taking control of characters, and I'd rather the players have control.

Also, I lost where I was in the story because I didn't build an outline. <.<; So, I didn't know how to continue. Though, I made some stuff up, so I *could* continue, but I need Joe and Yugi around.

Also, RPs wouldn't come to an end. They'd just stop. I made a post about that in RPW of why RPs were dying.

Edit: And Stun, I generally don't go on Google Talk anymore because it's distracting. ^^;
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:14:48 PM by Aegis Runestone »
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »
Dude you need to relax. We don't need a million people, as long as the people that ARE here have a good time. You sound like a downer when the rest of us aren't worried.
^this.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »
First, the main focus of the site: The projects.

First of all, we lost a lot of projects and developers, and several other projects had to completely rebrand themselves because of threat of legal action. Without a popular brand name to base our stuff on anymore, possibly people got notably less interested. Secondly, as of late, reliable indie projects coming out of the woodwork -- as opposed to being sponsored by an active web community -- have gotten popular. The would-be developers out there don't need us anymore, and some of the best indie games are run by a small private team, or even a single person (e.g. Cave Story). The appeal of GU has dropped considerably; we used to be able to brand ourselves as a hub for fangames and remakes in general (heck, that was our slogan -- "for all your game (re)making needs").

Legal action and paradigm shifts basically killed both the appeal and plausibility of that approach. Developers who want to make a fangame will probably find sponsoring on a site specifically dedicated to that series, and developers who want to create an original idea for a game have a large array of other options at their disposal. Some of which can actually provide a lucrative benefit. We offer nothing. Not even publicity, because of our low activity; they'd be better off just grabbing up a compiler or game development platform, and coding from scratch, like Daisuke Amaya (Cave Story) or Daniel Remar (Iji). They probably had a distinct advantage because they could focus solely on their work and their vision.

In short, the people who are going to create deep, insightful, original and groundbreaking indie games typically aren't going to jump on a general forum like this and ask for their hosting. They likely have careers and can afford buying their own web hosting and development tools and know how to manage their time to the point where they can work a job and develop their projects off to the side. Those who are making a project and not putting that much effort into it might hop onto a site like Kongregate, grab something like Stencyl (ironically, which is now integrated into said flash game site...), or even something simpler than that. And those who are sort of in between will be attracted to sites like Kongregate anyway, because it offers a lot of possibilities for publicity, AND the ability to possibly make some money off it in the process. And the dedicated series fans who want to make a fangame can't come to GU anyways, since Nintendo of America basically scared that dream out of us. But there's lots of series-specific sites that are more than willing to host peoples' fangames.

Contrast The Gaming Universe, which isn't specialized at all and offers no benefits. Nobody wants to take their projects here because of the lack of activity, and because of the lack of projects, our activity is shot.

GU's major flaw from the start was, indeed that we were project-based. We cannot, however force people to actually finish the projects they start with us. As people grow, they have to to this thing called a job in order to pay their bills and eat. Their free time is theirs to do with. Would you rather develop a game for a community that doesn't even encourage you, or play something like WoW, DDO, or the such?
As for that supposed cease and desist order; scare tactic. I could be wrong, but that turned out to be a host if memory serves right. The Big N doesn't email you with such things. They send it to your doorstep, to ensure that you get it.

That being said, I will explain the only developer's issue I can relate: my own. When I started working on Z2E, I had gotten fed up with people saying "I'm gonna do it!" and falling far short of the claim. Yes, most people had valid reasons for having to quit, but that's besides the point.
I merged my own game engine plans with my plans for Z2E, making it one even bigger monster to take on than anyone expected. However, a combination of little to no encouragement from out current memberbase and a bug I finally tracked down only six or so months ago had me disheartened and not really wanting to work on it, plus real life issues took away from the time I could devote to it. When I next tried to tackle it, I was lost; I had no clue where I was at in development, and had several different codebases that I had trouble finding the latest of.
Then, the great move. I took over ownership of GU in order to have an active access of all ownership features, last January. I was trying to get with Kratheous to get a completely new look for GU. Not something found or bought that would basically be a carbon copy like the Aria and Afterdark themes OL purchased for vB. Something unique. Krath vanished. I have been waiting almost a year from him to respond to me even on Facebook. I do know that he recently graduated (by recently, I mean like at the beginning of the summer), and is/was looking to begin an actual career. So, I've worked here and there on getting that theme done myself, with quite a few snags that I've been trying over time to get taken care of.
The light at the end of the tunnel? Not yet. I can't really get anything done dividing my available time between working on the site and forum theme and working on rebuilding my engine from scratch. I felt it was a better idea to try getting the site and theme done, or find someone willing to do it for us, first. No one with the ability to help has surfaced, so it's just me. Janus's skills as an admin are not in the web development area, so he's not able to help me.

Now, let's look at the next subject: RPW.

Well, it's a joke now. The last updated RP was Aegis's Runiecan Tales, which was last updated over half a year ago. And I don't blame him; BYU has been eating his life faster than a lolcat haz cheezburger. I barely see him online (over Google Talk, at least) anymore. College can be hell. And if you look at the other RPs? Well, Aegis held out the longest, beating Mystara's Mar'haren by sixteen months. I'm surprised he had the motivation to continue that long, he's a real trooper. All our elite RPers basically died out.

Why is this? Well, let's take a look at the facts. As time passes by our lives can run into various events. The RPers that start while they're young don't have as much stress on their shoulders, but when college and/or work gets dropped on their plates, suddenly they find they don't have any time for it anymore. So the old RPers die out, and with them die their RPs, and the activity they brought.

You'd think new blood would replace the old, but it doesn't. After a while of running through dead RPs, the new blood starts to curdle. I've been through over a dozen RPs, and I'd say a good 50% of them died before we even hit the fifth page of posts. You start getting tired of the space program when all of your rockets explode on the launchpad or pitifully fall over on their side, smashing the control tower. And when the DMs want to start something, the curdled new blood is disenfranchised to the whole concept, likely wanting to RP with a more focused group. Like their buddies at the FLGS, or a more dedicated RP community. Some of us tried launchpading a few new RP communities to branch off and solve the situation, but they failed miserably because we weren't really drawing upon any user bases other than GU.

So if people have RP on their minds, they'll just go to forums specifically dedicated to roleplaying. And there even exist forums out there dedicated to roleplaying in specific campaign settings. Do a Google search and I wouldn't be surprised if you found a friggin My Little Pony RP forum. Or don't. I'm not making that search because if I wind up being right, I'll still need brain bleach.
First off, do not mention anything like a My Littlee Pony RP site on GU again. (Mental note: Add that to official forum guidelines. >.>)
I was a part of many of the RPGs we had back on vB that weren't copied over right, many of which were longer (although not chronologically). I ran two, myself. I miss being able to play in them. But, like the IRC "clique" that formed, there was an RPG "clique," as well. There were just certain people that meshed better together to form a story. Without truly gifted minds like Lady Ry'en (who isn't even talking to me, anymore over a disagreement), Overlord, Meta, Nightmare, just to name those that stand out most to me. I can't play an RP alone. It's always been like a collaborated story for me; without the extra input, there is no story. *shrugs*
So where does the extra input come from? All our RPers were originally members that signed up here for various reasons, but RPing wasn't the cause for most of them. As I've said repeatedly, give the people a reason to come, and they will.

Then there's a fourth factor: Accelerated user-base demise.

Long-time oldbies are comfortable with having things go a certain way and not having the community shaken up too badly. They want a rock they can rely to stand on and not give way. But GU has given way several times, shaking the userbase's faith and alienating them in the end. Being attacked by Nintendo's law ninjas was the first major blow against GU, and it forced us to rebrand half our projects. People didn't like that much, if I recall. The next blow was changing the site over to SMF entirely and losing half our features in the process; it was a drastic change and we still don't have our themes back. (Who remembers the Afterdark theme from our VB incarnation?) To be honest, I feel like GU has become a strange and irrecognizable place over the years, and not just from these two incidents alone. I can probably count on my two hands the active members who remember who I am, from the old days.

Speaking of which, didn't we used to have a you-know-what for longstanding members? Because I don't see it anymore.
People left for various reasons. Most left with LX. Many others left for another project related reason. Others even left out of boredom.
As for features we supposedly lost? What did we lose? I'm not trying to call you out on that; I personally agreed that SMF was the better software for us because we could make sense out of the functions and such in the theme templates, unlike vB. So if there's a feature we currently lack that GU had on vB 3.5 I'd like to know about it.
Themes. I hear this enough times to say it. Krath did a great job converting our old vB2 themes for use on SMF. But they were lackluster and decrepit compared to what we COULD have instead. Remember, we don't want GU left behind by the internet, we want it to grow with it! As for Afterdark and Aria, I already commented on them.
And the Anniversary "hack" was never planned for the default theme for a reason. Whenever the software is updated, the default theme usually gets updates, as well, causing a loss of any changes we made to it.

Offering connection to Stencyl might even make things worse. If people want anything to do with Stencyl, they're going to go to stencyl dot com. You can type that in your address bar and you know it's specifically catered to what you're looking for.

Really, there's no way to save GU, in my opinion. You can keep it up, but it probably won't be revitalized, and if you make the changes needed to get it activity, it won't be GU anymore. It'll have to be specialized to something in particular, and almost everything else will have to be thrown out the window or shoved in a corner. We live in a society of niches nowadays, and nobody wants to join "The Everything Club".
These two statements greatly bother me.
The creator of Stencyl, Jon/Eliwood, started off small. It was simply jPlatformer (because of the NoA scare), and was basically a Mario clone. Then, amongst everything else Jon did at GU, he got fed up with Jim not being around. So he silently went elsewhere, completely shutting off all ties to us. I consider it a matter of pride, honestly, but even if we HAD something that would attract his crowd, why would I want to go begging for scraps from him?Beesides, businesswise, it's not a good idea to splinter his crowd off by hosting Stencyl material here. I wouldn't want it to happen if it were me, at least. Just look at what happened with Zelda Classic'd crowd. They had three different communities the last time I checked, and very few members went to all three sites.

"Really, there's no way to save GU"
Glad I don't feel the same way you do. If so, I never would have taken over GU's ownership. I never would have continuously worked on getting things to not only work right, but also to look good. And I damn sure wouldn't still be trying to get my game engine developed, to fuel not one, but two of GU's projects. And I had it planned for a third project altogether!

So, where does that leave us, after all that windbagging? Not much farther than we already were. Why? Everyone bitches. How many of you are willing to actually help GU out of this pit? I'm not going to stop doing my part, but it'll take years for one man to move a mountain. I will say this one (more) time: GU needs a reason for people to visit. MAKE one!
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »
With each upgrade things have gotten worse and worse. After all this time we don't even have a proper home page or even a redirect link "http://www.thegaminguniverse.org/"

That's fixed, somewhat, now. Click here!
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »
Thumbs up to Rowan! I'm serious, great job!
Even though there's not much activity, I'll post some of my youtube videos.
To bad you can't embed as it would advertise GU a bit.

Offline Golden Warrior

• ~GW~
  • Advisor
  • Chaos Angel
  • /Empire/Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
Nicely done Rowan! The new front page looks awesome! :D
DDOEQ2
Argonnessen ServerCrushbone Server
Gustal Dymlos Human Fighter LV2Quaxialaem - Dark Elf Necromancer LV27
Woth Half-Orc Barbarian LV1Afuwkoac - Freeblood Shadowknight LV26
Kathanos Half-Elf Monk LV1 / Sorcerer LV1Zeekort - Troll Paladin LV52
ILomer - Human Gaurdian LV20
Ruliach - Fae Warden LV20
Naebiya - Wood Elf Beastlord LV29

The tediousness of paperwork makes my eyes burn and head hurt. Yet it is a necessary evil we all share. I like swords. Swords are simple. They aren't confusing or evil. Just straight forward implements of death. Have a nice day. ~GW

I like swords ~Fighter, 8-Bit Theater

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
It does look good, Rowan. I look forward to the final product.
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
As I previously said, the front page is based off of the new theme Krath was working on that I've been working on getting finished. This is to provide a more uniform look overall. Props go to Stencyl's webmaster for that. I was in their chat channel when it was being discussed/implemented, and it only makes sense.

Offline Jeremy

• Group 7 Access
  • Accepted
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 02:23:43 AM »
That's fixed, somewhat, now. Click here!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:27:48 AM by Jeremy »
Peace and love :cool:

Offline MottZilla

• Atoned
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Gaiden IV
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 02:26:34 AM »
I'm still here sort of kind of. Rowan is right that life is busy and you don't have all the time in the world to spend on 1 project or hang around 1 forum. No reason to panic though. I still appreciate the hosting. I recently updated my sub-site.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:28:59 AM by MottZilla »
Ninja Gaiden IV:
Homepage

Offline RedShift

• Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
I think this forum is interesting in that it entered it's twilight years because most of it's users were younger kids attracted to a single multi-player game (cough) that then turned into a clusterfack, and everybody literally grew up, forgot about it, and left.

As for role-players, they are a fickle bunch with strange psychology who tend to go wherever the rest of their weird herd is.

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
As for role-players, they are a fickle bunch with strange psychology who tend to go wherever the rest of their weird herd is.

Why do you say that? We're completely normal people, we may think differently from you, but that doesn't make us "weird" or have a "strange psychology."
-Aegis Runestone-

Mormon Messages

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »
Why doesn't it? I know I do... ;p

As for the LieroX craze. I've reviewed the entire fiasco on a whole several times, and I firmly believe now that we as a whole on staff were too harsh on the LXers. Yes, they were breaking rules left and right, but we didn't try explaining to them in a nice way what exactly they were doing wrong and why. We just handed out bans and temporarily removed access to certain things. I blame our harsh treatment on the (at the time) recent rash of hackings we dealt with at the hands on Narsheferatu. It hardened most of the senior staff to a point we never should have gotten, and it took most of us either stepping down or taking a vacation in order to gain some of our friendliness back.

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  This place looks dead

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.163 seconds with 19 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx