gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Members, please note that our guidelines are located here.

gfx gfx
gfx
484219 Posts in 28368 Topics by 2466 Members - Latest Member: Second Channel April 22, 2018, 02:44:46 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  This place looks dead
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: This place looks dead  (Read 7737 times)

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
  • Here today, gone tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
This place looks dead
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
http://www.thegaminguniverse.org/forum/index.php?action=stats

For the month of August the amount of posts this place received is the lowest it's been except for maybe January(did we have any downtimes) since the month is not over yet. Now maybe it's just me but I got very bored with GU, there's nothing really entertaining about this place, not much reason to post, no fun arcade, no ideas being worked on(if there is, it's too hush hush).
Except for MMX, OZ(just private activity), and FH GU has no activity.
Poor Nightmare, if your project does get going again, there will be no GU member around to help you unless if you can find new members.

The only reason I even check out GU now is just to see if there any OZ updates. I started posting my quests topics on ZU since it's all about Zelda.
I hate to even suggest this, but I wonder if OZ would receive a lot more help if it was part of another forum(doubt there are any forums to accept OZ in this state).
Our team is very small so more work is required out of the team members but nothing gets done. Who's to blame, well could blame all of us PAs(including me) but no. We all have lives and busy schedules so that would be wrong. I don't want RT to lose inspiration and hope he's still having some fun working on it, because if it becomes a choir, the progress will stop.

What it comes down to is three things for GU.
1. Lack of time/dedication/motivation. If a leader is busy all the time or has little motivation it creates a chain reaction downwards until it affects everyone. When Jim wasn't around and we had a serious down time, it killed our activity, and we might of lost some future members. Am I blaming one person, no I am not. Let's say there's a head admin who's never around. Well that puts more work on the admins, GM,... etc. That head admin needs to be replaced or it affects everyone in some way.

2. Excuses. We all make excuses at some point in our life. Ideas were thrown left and right but was never implemented or even tried. Why? The main excuse was it sounds like a bad idea or there is little motivation to do it. Wait too long to get something done, and eventually there's no one around who can do it.

3. Lack of staff. If #1 and #2 applies then eventually the activity and/or amount of staff drops as well.

These three things combined is what killed GU.
So what do we do about this?
Most likely the replies will be about excuses, lack of time/dedication, saying they should be owner, blaming someone, and telling me personally to do something about it(seen so many of these).

Most likely nothing will be done and GU will continue to die and Zeo starts his own GU/website.
PS. Not trying to flame or make fun of you Zeo.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:59:05 PM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Aegis Runestone

• Cecil Harvey
  • Global Moderator
  • Messiah
  • "May the moon light your path..."
    • View Profile
Re: This place looks dead
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
I disagree with #1. I have a lot of dedication to GU, I just don't have many ideas for topics. In almost EVERY sig I have in other forums/sites, I have a link to GU. I want more people to join just like you, but I'm really dubious about the "chain reaction" part of your argument.

As for our owner being busy, he's TRYING to make a good theme for GU. One that's eye-catching and might bring in more users. So, he IS putting in effort for this site. That's one of the reasons he's busy.

I'm not making excuses. I make time for GU, and I check it about once an hour a day when I have internet access.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:12:00 PM by Aegis Runestone »
-Aegis Runestone-
Thanks to Galadin at the Dissidia Forums for this Awesome Avatar!
My Library of Fan Stories. Come, read, and enjoy!
My ArchiveOfOurOwn.org Account
"It's better to stand for something than to fall for anything."- Snypa

Learn about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon Messages

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
Edited my first post a bit.
While you may still have motivation and dedication there is no one around to help you create things or give you ideas. Your kind of on your own.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »

because if it becomes a choir, the progress will stop.

A church choir?  Hell no.

But seriously. What caused GU to decline was multiple things.  One,  we havhave had too many broken promises. Two,  as we get older we acquire these things called families and jobs. Those require a lot of time.  Three,  the few people left don't know how to do certain things,  especially when it comes to the site.

As for ideas put forth?  Those are all fine and good when presented.  But I've yet to see anyone volunteer any work on those ideas.  Not even how to implement them.

On to what I'm planning,  since it's apparently "too hush hush" for you.  I'm working on the new theme.  Once that's done I'll be working on my game engine to run Z2E and possibly a couple other games to run as flag ships.  To put things clearly in reference to OZ,  you don't have anything to PLAY,  so there isn't any interest in it.  I plan on having something to play before I make many releases of my engine for that very reason.  Something original,  possibly based on Zelda and Castlevania.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:54:14 AM by Rowan »
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:27 PM »
Something to play?
We have over 20 quests, 2 of them take hours to get through.
Unless if your talking about something original only then we have a couple of mini-quests.
Talking for the current version, not the new one.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
I forgot the biggest issue of them all.
4. Purpose. People post on forums for many different reasons. ZU is great for Zelda fans. Gamefaqs is for people who need help or just want to talk about games in general. Some forums exist to just talk about a user's videos "thatguywiththeglasses". What purpose does GU have for people wanting to post. MMX members will post in the MMX forums. OZ has no purpose for topics except for newbies who need help(don't get many right now) or to release demos(rarely happens).
You have to ask yourself what would/could bring GU some activity that would make users want to post. Second, is there anything you can do to help it along?
A new cool looking theme is nice, but will it attract members? If it does, what do you think they will post about? "Hi I'm new" and then leave?
I don't see any interesting sections to even post to or even about.
Maybe if you had some great forum section that would inspire me, I would post again.
All your sections or bland.

I'm surprised GU even has sections at this point. Might as well merge News, Discussion, GCC, GL, Portal, A&E, Dev, and RPW into "Non-Project Topics". That's how I feel when I try to make a topic/post on GU, like there are no interesting sections to even post in.

If GU had "Zelda sections" I would post Zelda topics because I knew along the line some new members will join GU just to talk about Zelda. Right now when I talk about Zelda all I get are replies that no one really cares.

If GU had "speed run section" then I would start posting topic about speed runs.
These are just examples, as you don't necessarily have to make these sections.

Here's a forum that has little work put into it but it still gets posters.
http://forums.2kgames.com/

Hard work is not even required, we just need interesting sections to post in and interesting reasons for members to join and stay.
As we get older...well let's find ways to attract some slightly younger members then. We could really use younger staff as well.

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »

because if it becomes a choir, the progress will stop.

As for ideas put forth?  Those are all fine and good when presented.  But I've yet to see anyone volunteer any work on those ideas.  Not even how to implement them.

I'm going disagree on that one.  Most ideas that will actually move the site require main page content, which so far I've seen a startling resistance too even when its available.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 04:31:53 AM »
No one has shown me anything that's "available." Once someone can show me some content, I can see about putting it up.

As for your comments about stuff making people want to post, KoH, go look at AGN again. Even in a lull it has activity because of ZC.

As for the more general or artistic members, I'm not sure we can even find a way to get many of them back.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
Oh, I get it now. Your plan is to hope for full activity from MMX and OZ... am I correct?
This plan can work but these projects need reasons to continue. If MMX ever runs out of members to help them, they will leave(I'd assume).

I don't care about bringing members back. After all they have lives now. I'd rather see new members.

I'm guessing Zeo needs to post the source code of his recent data information(assuming he finished anything) before you post it.
Or you need someone to actually take charge and post live videos(my recent suggestion) before it can even be part of GU?

There's little members left who can even submit content(especially if teamwork is involved), so without finding ways to get some new members, then eventually you'll run out of members.

What are the young members(like 13+) interested in now a days? We really need those kinds of topics/features around here.

Offline Rowan

• Fluid Druid
  • Owner
  • Archangel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
No, you are not correct. Depending on the project developers to keep active was our original folly. Count in your head the number of projects we've had and then count the number that were finished.

Having a life doesn't mean you can't still be a part of GU. I have a fiancee with bad health, a crappy job, and I still manage to come here every day. So yse, while new members are always a good (and very welcome) thing, bringing back our older members for even the briefest times each week is a very good thing.

Zeo's data sheet idea is a good start, but I haven't seen any of this data or how best to implement it. As for the videos, you'll find that inspiration is a good thing. You might recall the rash of comics we had popping up at one point becuse of JoeFalco's Tales of an Alternate GU comic, basically, the concept is that if a few people start doing something, and it gets a good enough reception, others will want to help out. If no one tries, no one will want to join in.

I can't submit content that I'm not really sure how best to do it. As is I don't have much I can work with technology-wise.

Younger members? They probably joined expecting some actual games to play. MMX is not ready for release, I presume. OZ has most people afraid to work in the current version because the new version "will be different." That leaves my project, since no one else is doing much (I apologize if I am incorrect in this matter, but I haven't seen much else). Yggdrasil is on hold until I can actually work on it. I'm currently stuck trying to get a little work done each day on the templates for the new theme, and I actually get little done because of inexperience. It would have been nice to have seen what Kratheous would have done by now, but he isn't responding to my messages, so I must presume he isn't interested in working on it.

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
I had assumed since some of it was available for over a year on nfs you would have known it existed.

Shoot me a good email address and I'll give you a bunch of datasheets, FAQS etc.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »
KoH: there's a way for you, specifically, to help.  Continue active work on a quest pack for OZ.  Don't know how to help on the current one?  We sure could use a side-scrolling platformer quest pack.  That's what your board position asks of you, nothing more.

Zeo: both Rowan and myself wouldn't feel right with simply taking information off your alternate board.  I think the reasons there are pretty self-explanatory.

As for that forum to which you linked, KoH, there is less worth posting in there than here.  Most of those boards are game-specific.  Not project specific, but stationary, already complete, unoffical, non-development game specific.  It'd be like us starting an Elder Scrolls forum and expecting Todd Howard to give us exclusive information on Skyrim.  Really, our content is user-generated.  If you don't think there's enough content, make some.

Offline KingOfHumans

• Always Watching
  • Messiah
    • View Profile
    • GUKingOfHeart
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
QP can't really be worked on at this point and has no real direction.
If you want a side-scrolling, I could start one, but would need many GFX, otherwise it will reach a dead-end where I can not continue because of lack of GFX.
For now I just work on the website and work on other QP ideas.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:01:48 AM by KingOfHumans »

Offline Aliem

• Ț̼͍̩̹̥̞̩̖͝ ̺̰̟͝s̸҉̜̜̘̥̥̤̬͓͔̰͔̩ͅ ̴̡̭̪͍͇̕c̦̀̀͡ͅ&
  • Advisor
  • Messiah
  • Oh hai Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
You're in charge of the QP, if you want direction, make some. ;)

Platforming would be nice.

Offline Zeo

• Angel of Vengence
  • Founder
  • Chaos Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
ore.

Zeo: both Rowan and myself wouldn't feel right with simply taking information off your alternate board.  I think the reasons there are pretty self-explanatory.

I'd have assumed once i offered it, you guys would would have looked at it and got back to me though.  He said he never saw it or knew of it.  Anyway we talked bout it and I'm going to polish a few things up and email it.

Lao Tzu

The Gaming Universe  |  The Site  |  Discussion  |  This place looks dead

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx